Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mermaids Bakery & Pie House



With a great location, located practically on 16th street mall in downtown Denver, Mermaids Bakery satisfies the city with cupcakes, cakes (gluten-free options too!) cookies, muffins and lots of pies. Their images in their online gallery and their window display made me so excited to see this Bakery, but when I walked in, the cupcakes looked like they were very sloppily thrown together. The girls in the back were so talking so loud I couldn’t really hear the guy when he was telling me about their flavors. But my god…these cupcakes were delicious!
I got a Tiramisu cupcake, which is vanilla cake filled with espresso cream, topped with cream cheese frosting dusted with cocoa.  The cake part was a bit dry, but when you got a bite of the filling with the cake and frosting…WOW…So good. Tiramisu is by far my favorite dessert ever made, and this would make any tiramisu lover happy. 
 I also got a Strawberry cupcake, which was a strawberry cake with strawberry Swiss buttercream. The cake was light and fluffy with mild strawberry flavor, but the buttercream on top was perfect. It tasted like I bit into a big red perfectly ripe strawberry, and the consistency was perfect. This cupcake was my favorite out of the two. This bakery left me wanting to go try their pies and other treats, as the cupcakes left me happy and completely overly satisfied. But make sure they are open before you head over, because they have extremely weird hours, and you will be sad if you miss this one J

1 comment: