Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Happy...or Sad...Cakes?!


Happy Cakes (3434 West 32nd Street, Denver) says no one is unhappy when they are eating cakes, so of course I had to try it and see if these tiny cakes made me happy… or angry. I followed the green dot sign to Happy Cakes where there were so many unique flavors, I finally settled on a White Wine Sangria Cupcake and an Apple Crisp Cupcake. I was a bit weirded/bummed out when they handed them to me, because they put them in a brown paper bag, I understand being "green" but really!?
The first bite into the Apple Crisp cupcake had my mouth overwhelmed with such an amazingly “warm” flavor. There were juicy apple pieces baked into the actual cake and was topped with an extremely dense buttercream covered in cinnamon sugar goodness. The flavors in this cupcake were so intense and had my taste-buds going wild, but the actual cake itself was a bit dry around the edges, so you can tell it had sat out for a good while. The buttercream was a bit too thick and stiff for my liking, and took away from the actual cake. The flavors of this cupcake and the apple baked inside saved it!!
Being a lover of white wine, the White Wine Sangria cupcake was screaming my name. After my first taste, my heart was singing, this cupcake tasted like I was literally eating wine! Sadly, it had the same type of thick buttercream, and the cake was a tad crumbly. I loved the idea of this cupcake, but I could only have two bites of this cake because of how rich with wine it was.

Happy Cakes has an amazing assortment of cupcakes, but I think it is the fun flavors that are making these good. The cake itself just didn’t have me wanting more, the flavor combinations had me wanting to go back, I mean, who wouldn’t want to try a Jack and Coke cupcake!?!? 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on Happy Cakes! They have great flavor combinations and unique cupcake ideas. Every time I try a cupcake from them it is ALWAYS dry. That is the worst! Every time they have a cool flavor I want to try, I hope and hope that it won't be dry, but it is-EVERY time. So I've stopped trying..too bad!
    I also don't like that they put the cupcakes in a paper bag. Who does that? I don't want my cupcake smashed!

    ReplyDelete